In the cooler months of the year with no rain in sight, it’s Friday afternoon, just got paid, & all your friends want to get together for a supper. They want something delicious, takes a while to cook so everyone can talk & clown, something they don’t get to eat often & most of all, UNHEALTHY. First thing pops in my mind is, a good “SLUM”. We call it a slum because the main ingredients in it are not commonly cooked due to the high cholesterol content & how sticky the gravy comes out. A good slum can take up to 5 hrs from start to finish. Please don’t cook if you have cholesterol or high blood pressure problems because it taste so good, you just can’t get enough.
- 3 lbs cut honeycomb tripe
- 3 lbs ox tails
- 3 lbs pig tails
- 2 lbs real smoked sausage
- 2 large diced onions
- 2 large diced bell peppers
- 2 large diced jalapeños
- 1 bunch diced celery
- 2 bunches onion tops
- 2 bunches parsley
- 1 small can of regular tomato paste
- 1 oz browning sauce
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 3 heaping tablespoonfuls of roux
- Boil tripe 1 hour by itself on high heat, adding water as needed.
- After tripe has boiled an hour, strain & put back in pot.
- Season tripe to your taste, add seasoned pig tails & oxtails along with all trinity seasoning except onion tops & parsley. Add 1/4 cup cooking oil at this time also.
- Start cooking slum on medium to high heat until slum starts to cook heavily, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Once slum contents have started browning, adjust heat to medium, add smoked sausage, then add enough water to level off above contents, putting lid on pot at this time.
- Once contents start boiling heavy, add roux, tomato paste, & browning sauce, then put lid back on pot.
- On a medium fire, cook another two hrs adding water as needed.
- After 2 hours of cooking, check seasoning to your taste, also check to see if tripe starting to tender, this will determine the pace for everything else, drop heat to low.
- Cook slum until tripe very tender and gravy very thick & at least half way up slum contents, add onion tops & parsley then remove heat.
- Serve over rice & don’t touch anything after eating because it will stick like glue.