Boobie’s Smothered Irish Potatoes & Sausage
Brought up in a family that always grew Irish Potatoes & smoked their own sausage & tasso, a lot of times fresh meat wasn’t always available. The freezer usually always had smoked sausage because hogs were slaughtered often even though we raised our own beef as well, appointments to have the beef cooled & cut had to be arranged, which meant we would run out at times. One of the tastiest meals was smothered Irish potatoes & sausage over rice. Very tasty yet easy to prepare.
- 5 pounds peeled Red Irish Potatoes diced big
- 2 1/2 pounds “REAL” Smoked Sausage cut approximately 3” long
- 2 diced onions
- 2 diced bell peppers
- 1 clove diced garlic
- 1 bunch chopped parsley
- 1 bunch chopped onion tops
- Sauté sausage started with water in black pot until frying starts & sausage is browning in oil.
- Once sausage has starting making its oil heavily, add onions, bell peppers, garlic, & sauté with sausage until trinity has cooked 3/4 ready & oil has turned orange.
- Once trinity & sausage have sautéed, add peeled diced potatoes & stir in well, until potatoes have started turning orange.
- Add water about half way up contents in pot & simmer on low fire until potatoes 3/4 tendered.
- After cooking approximately 30 minutes, taste gravy for seasoning, do not season potatoes before dropping into pot due to sausage being seasoned.
- Add desired seasoning & stir in well if seasoning necessary, add chopped parsley & continue to simmer until potatoes tender, careful how you stir not to break up the potatoes, let it make a nice thick gravy.
- Once potatoes very tender, remove from heat & serve over rice.